Ordinary members are full voting members of the SMTA. Representatives of Ordinary Members (e.g. Proprietors, Directors, employees etc) provided they are properly authorised can stand for office in the Association e.g. President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Elected Director. All Ordinary Members of the Association must service/retail direct to the public. These include:
DEALER - The holder of a manufacturer’s dealer franchise
DISTRIBUTOR - The holder of a manufacturer’s distributor franchise
AUTHORISED REPAIRER - The holder of a manufacturer’s authorised repairer franchise
REPAIRER/MOT STATION - A service and repair workshop adhering to the following standards:
- Work areas. mobile service/repair units and equipment must be suitable for carrying out the work/services offered and must comply with all statutory regulations.
- Reasonable office and reception areas (bearing in mind the size and type of business) must be provided together with proper administration and accounting systems being utilised.
- There must be not less than one full-time qualified technician/mechanic who may be the Proprietor or Manager.
- All aspects of the business must be managed by persons with relevant experience.
- Adequate socks of replacements parts should be held or should be readily available.
SPECIALIST REPAIRER - Requirements similar to Repairer but bearing in mind the specialised services being offered.
BODY REPAIRER - Requirements as for Specialist Repairer with the addition of Paint Baking Oven, Body Jig Alignment Equipment, Mig Spot and Gas Welding Equipment, Wheel and Headlamp Alignment Equipment.
DEALER USED VEHICLES - Facilities to the following standards:
- Showroom or clearly defined display area of not less than 60 sq metres.
- A workshop with facilities adequate for the repair/preparation of vehicles for sale. Sub-contracting to a fellow SMTA member or non-member meeting the above “Repairer/MOT Station” standards is permissible.
- There must be not less than one full-time employee who may be the Proprietor or Manager and who is suitably qualified to carry out the repair and preparation of vehicles for sale. This latter requirement is not necessary where sub-contracting as in (b) above takes place.
Interested? Click the link on the right hand side of the website under 'My SMTA' to join or you can call us on 0131 331 5510.